Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A Quiet Place for the Soul


As soon as I arrive at my Mom's house there is always one place that I want to go. For some people this might be their room, Mom's kitchen, or to the family room to catch the latest sports scores. Not me. The one place I want to go is the barn.
I wander down the driveway, past the pond where there used to be a family of geese. Thank goodness they are gone. They used to try and make the walk from the house to the barn a living hell for me. I can already anticipate what the barn will be like. The sights, smells, and the sound of my horse's greeting me. As I round the corner I see them waiting for me already. Heads hanging over their stall guards, I hear whinnies and nickers, horse's awaiting someone to come and fill their buckets with grain.


As I run my fingers through the bay's forelock and kiss her soft nose I know I have come home. My fingers don't have to wait to be told, I immediately start scratching and rubbing this beast in front of me. The smell of hay and sawdust fill my nose, I welcome the smells, I am used to it enough that I don't consider horse's smelly.
When I am not around my own horse's or have my own barn to meander through I think about the experience of having horse's on your own property. There is nothing like it. It brings a sense of home for me, a rhythm to daily life, and being around these gentle giants brings peace to my soul. If you have had horses then you know exactly what I am talking about.

Knowing that this brings quiet to my soul in a chaotic world and V loves being in the country, we move forward into the future praying for this dream to come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment