Monday, September 13, 2010

Rising Hope


I write tonight with a heart that is feeling overwhelmed. Overwhelmed with the brokenness that surrounds us - even here, the beauty of the country, the love for all things simple, and the friendship of the one who loves me best.

Today, I went ahead and began a friendship with a compassion child through sponsoring them. I have followed Ann on her trip with Compassion, my heart was broken with the stories that she told of poverty and brokenness. I felt the tugging on my heartstrings, listened to the whisper of the One who redeems and whose love is more radical then I can ever imagine. Shaun wrote a beautiful song of our God who leads us out.
We made our way into the city today, the suburban filled with children's giggles and a baby's soft cooing. In leaving the beauty of the log cabin we have come to call home and the peaceful country roads, we knew that the city would bring different sights and sounds. But I am never fully prepared for what it stirs within me. In one of the most broken parts of the city we observed families; young mother's yelling at their babies, homeless people with a smile on their face, and children who should have been in school wandering the streets. I looked at my sister and we both felt the pangs of what shouldn't be. We saw, felt, and heard the brokenness of people all around us. We talked about the things we have in common with those who seem different then us, we talked beyond economic status and into the heart of humanity. At the end of this conversation we came to the conclusion that there is something happening in our lives.

God is speaking but we aren't sure what he is saying yet.

There is much translation to happen as we feel his presence and the movement of his Spirit in our lives. He is calling us, leading us, and giving us something new. Our hearts are being broken and then rebuilt with a love, passion, and desire to love those around us. Especially those who the world have deemed broken. My heart rises and falls with these passions, I am excited and breathless for what is to come. I know that He works in the most beautiful ways. And yet I am uncertain of how He is going to lead, unsure of what the next footfall looks like.

I'm overwhelmed. And grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment